Thursday 14 June 2012

Thursday Thoughties - Illamasqua Skin Base ♥

Hi and Happy Thursday Thoughties! This week, as I mentioned in my previous post, I purchased Illamasqua Skin Base foundation as opposed to NARS Sheer Glow. This was not because I don't love the NARS Sheer Glow, but there are so many high end foundations out there that I haven't even thought about trying yet, so my mission is to work my way through them all until I come across one to stick to.

As I briefly mentioned yesterday, I went to the Illamasqua counter in Selfridges to get the correct shade matched to my skin. The make up artist on the counter only put this shade over half of my face, whereas the NARS lady put three different colour lines on my forehead so I could see which blended in perfectly. I wasn't convinced this was the right shade, and that it was oh-so-slightly too dark, but the girl on the counter was pretty much horrified that I had counteracted her expertise. So in the end I agreed with her and purchased it anyway! I am a world class donut, because I have got it home and I still think it is slightly off.


This is what the bottle looks like and it is in shade 3.5. I honestly think I must be a 3, if that is a touch lighter. I also found that this seems to have more pinky undertones, whereas the NARS had yellow undertones which I think suited me better. Make sure when getting matched you can go out into daylight and have a glance in a mirror, because £25.00 is a lot of money to get the incorrect shade. 

While writing this I just checked on the Illamasqua web page to see if this 3.5 shade is pink or yellow undertoned, and it is pink! So I was right, whereas shade 03 is yellow. I can put up with it after blending with powders and bronzers, but it's a bit of a pain, so do make sure you speak up - unlike moi, I'm just a weakling.
These are my pyjama bottoms in the pictures by the way...aristocats ftw!!


This is what a little bloberino looks like, I guess the same as any would when I put it on my hand like that...Anywho, onto coverage and things that matter. I found I have to work quicker with this foundation as it does start to dry. However I do think this is an advantage as it is a buildable foundation, so if it dries quicker, the more layers for coverage I can pile on. I must say all colour quibbles aside, I do very much like the coverage of the skin base and it is pretty flawless. I am less shiny as the day goes on with this foundation, as I have oily to combination skin, this is a plus.


Here is how it looks on the old boat race. My skin has cleared up over the last few days too thanks to a really cheap skincare routine I am currently doing! I shall share more about that soon, but it is like a miracle. 
It's a good foundation, but I don't know if I would rush out and buy it again soon, OR that it is just because of the colour that I am disappointed...maybe I'll try again with a different shade, but it doesn't look to bad here after bronzing and setting so I'll stop moaning now!


Random quickie...how amazeballs is this jumper??! I want it so bad but I would throw up if I spent £100 English Pounds on a jumper! I fully love it though.


Overall a nice foundation, with a good coverage. Would like to try it in the correct shade!
Rating out of five: ****
Ciao for now XxX

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely give Illamasqua Skin base another try. It is by far my favourite foundation. Plus it is the only one that hasn't messed around with my skin :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think you are right! I must say I do love the coverage, but when I run out I'm gonna try it in shade 3 and take your advice! Xx

      Delete