Monday 16 April 2012

You know those days when you jump out of a plane?


Ey Up Lovers! Well, yesterday I did on of the best things in my life EVER! I have literally always wanted to do it, so much so that my Mom can remember me going on about it when I was about 10! Now 21, my chance to Skydive came along, and was something I was never going to miss. If you are thinking about doing it yourself, I am going to put down my experience, if not just read on anyway, you might want to after!
With my old work, we decided to group together and do a dive for charity, and mine was the British Heart Foundation as unfortunately one of my cousins passed away in his 20's due to a heart attack, so this was the best charity to chose for myself. The other divers on my team were doing it for other great causes such as Breast Friends, and Macmillan. Together, we have managed to raise around £2,500 for the charities, so a great success! 

This was in the morning, on the way to the Skydive centre. I didn't sleep hardly at all the night before (hence why I have big ass suitcases under my eyes), and I was up at 5am having a bit of panic time. We stayed down in Cirencester the night before, so we were only 15 minutes away from the grounds. Once we pulled in to the site, I saw the plane I would be jumping from, and I must admit I began to fill up with tiddly tears!


Once we were through the gates, I saw my friends from Moor Hall, Kev and Seb. This was when my fear turned into sheer excitement, and I was totally ready for the experience. We went in to pay our final bits of dosh, and then my Mom pulled into the site with my little brother and sister! I also went with Ed, his sister and her boyfriend. It was really great to have them all there to encourage me! So then we went into the briefing, where we had a step by step talk about exactly what happens, and all the safety instructions. 


Me, Seb and Ryan. Fellow jumpers!


Here we all are waiting for the briefing. 


After the briefing I was good to go, I had done a practise land showing I could lift my legs right up so I don't snap them, and practised an 'arch', which is the position you leave the plane in. I could not literally wait to board the plane. I was in the third lift, so the plane had already been up and down twice before I got on it! The first 3 people from the left of the above photo went first, then Seb in the middle, then Me and Kev at the end. So we got a great view of them landing, and their experience before our turn.
Here I am in the jumpsuit! Holding a pretty sexy helmet.


See what I mean? Wouldn't say no would you, really?


Me and my Edbud, who thinks I am mad but loves me all the same I hope!!


Me, Sexy helmet, Edbud and Mom.


All geared up, and ready to fly! Man, that harness was tight! Better to be tight than fall out of it though!!


Then our names were called. I grabbed my instructor and dragged him to the minibus ready to go go go!! I also have had professional photos and a video done, so as soon as I get those I will do a post with them on too. I got in the minibus with Kev, and about 14 other people who were jumping singly just for kicks. They were a really nice bunch who made me feel even more excited, as they had done it so many times before!
When we reached the plane my legs were shaking a bit so I staggered up the steps onto it. You cannot stand up straight in it it's so small! There were two benches which you straddle on to, getting nice and cosy with the people in front and behind you!
To my surprise, the plane took off and we were sat backwards, which is really surreal as obviously on a normal plane you face the way you are going. We got up to 12,500 feet, and the others only did 10,000, because all the single divers wanted to go higher so that meant a longer freefall, which was great. 

Once we reached 8,000, I was instructed to get on my tandem instructors lap - with great difficulty - who I felt extremely sorry for! But this was so they could really tighten the straps of our harness together, so there was no gap between us. Once we reached altitude, a light turned red in the plane, meaning the single jumpers could open the door. Then it turned green. Out they piled, jolting the plane with the weight that had been lifted. Within literally a couple of seconds, we shuffled straight forward along the bench, straight onto the floor of the door, onto the edge, and OUT! 
I was freefalling, in the sky at 12,000 feet, and did a 360 degree tumble out of the plane. Wow. What a feeling. Your breathing is compressed due to the obvious pressure, and the harness digs in a little, but that is something you can put up with when you are in this surreal world with the ground coming towards you. It felt like a dream. I didn't even think about worrying whether the parachute was coming out or not, I was too busy taking in what I was doing, and also thinking about how dry my mouth was as I opened it the whole time! The video will be hilarious.


That's me up there! I had been thumbing up the camera man, which I hope I had my head up for, when the parachute was deployed. The feeling was a very strong pull up of the harness and a bit of a jolt, but once it fully opened it went all quiet and we were drifting around. My ears totally blew out I could hardly hear a thing! He gave me the parachute toggles to have a go at steering and it felt awesome. He swiftly took them back off me, and we did what he called 'Twiddlys' where he spins the parachute so you spin in a big circle, which was great! I always like to do stuff to the full, if I'm doing it anyway, might as well go all the way. 


We then did a practise landing in the air, where he told my to bring my legs right up. I did it totally fine so we were set to land. It was a mad feeling with the ground  approaching you, but not once did I feel unsafe or at harm. It was pure exhilaration. The landing was totally smooth, my legs went high enough so that I landed on my feet, which I was so glad about as I have a coccyx injury. Then some helpers unhooked us and I was just in a total daze, continuously shouting "Wow" I think! I went a bit dizzy but after a few seconds I was fine. Then my family came to greet me and I was on cloud 9! Literally! 
It was one of the best things I have ever done, and the top of my bucket list completed. I am already considering planning my next one, and would absolutely love to do it alone one day I think!

  
Here is the final picture of us all with our certificates! It was a great day, spent with great people and couldn't of asked for better. Once we finished, and went to get something to eat, I started to spiral downwards a little. I think after all that adrenaline I was absolutely exhausted and had a banging headache, probably because of the tension the previous night! It was a big sigh of relief that my feet were on the ground, although in the end I was totally relaxed about it, even in the plane! I would urge anyone to do it, it is an amazing feeling, and really isn't as bad or scary as you may think. They are fully trained with clever, expensive, super-safe kit and they have done it thousands of times. If you get the opportunity, DO IT. It's mind over matter and I can guarantee you will love every second.
I am now due to get a little silhouette of a plane tattooed on my ankle, in commemoration of my first (hopefully not last) Sky Dive, and my love for travel.
Thanks to everyone at the Silver Stars centre for their help and encouragement, and especially George and Matt who were my Tandem and Cameraman instructors.
A day I will never forget.

Ciao for now XxX


No comments:

Post a Comment